The Journey Continues at 57!

with 21 Comments

Happy independence day to my country Nigeria. Today marks an important day in our lives as a people and as a nation. Today we celebrate our freedom from British rule and slavery amidst the recessions, poverty, insurgencies, conflicts, political uproars and insecurities. At Independence Day, we commemorate all the great personalities who had played their important role in the independence of Nigeria. During the Independence Day celebration, the National Flags are also hosted in school and colleges where many activities are performed by the teachers and students.
Today every Nigerian will celebrate his/her freedom in their own way(despite the fact that today is Sunday) such as decorating their places of celebration, raising the National flag, March past, relaxing at home or by the beach, dancing on the streets, singing the National anthem or patriotic songs or even participating in many social activities organized at public places. Independent day in Nigeria is celebrated every year in October 1st by the government and the people.

The question now is “How is Nigeria today? How much have we grown and how much have we declined? Is democracy really good for us? The idea of Nigeria celebrating today has become so controversial believe me. It is true that Nigeria is still holding together despite all calamities but it does not change the fact that the people are angry and agitated. Bitter and frustrated at all the failures of this country. As Nigeria celebrates 57years today, many of the youths are unemployed and underemployed, 75% of the people live on less than a dollar per day. Poverty, hunger and starvation seem to be the order of the day. Corruption has been woven seemingly into every fabric of the Nation and we are all comfortable wearing every attire sown. How can we grow as a nation, while continually wanting to shrink? As a nation marking 57 beautiful years, how can we refill our energy cups and stay centred?
So, as it was in the past, so it is now and so it may likely be for years to come. But can the citizens refuse this offer of democracy that has impoverished them for many years? Can we continue to elect the wrong people to lead us? Do we really need restructuring? Or is it a ploy by saboteurs to divide the country and achieve the evil aim? These are but a few of the many questions in the minds of the Nigeria people as they celebrate their independence.

I strongly believe that for Nigeria to develop in totality there must be attitudinal change particularly of the politicians and the ordinary man. We must place national value and patriotism first before any other thing. Yes, we have had our hitches in the past, and some exist in our present and perhaps future, we all must ensure that we make our democracy work, have open and transparent government, innovation and accountability at all levels.
All hands must be on deck for the betterment of our nation and stop leaving the cleaning to LAWMA alone.
Happy Independence Day! ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ
Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.

Head blogger, writer, counselor

My name is Whitney Edna ibe. Iโ€™m thrilled youโ€™re here because weโ€™re a lot alike, you and me. Weโ€™re both trying to make a life we love out of what we do. Iโ€™m first and foremost a child of God. Iโ€™m passionate about glorifying Him and making the most of my days on his earth. All I have and all I am is thanks to my creator and redeemer. Iโ€™m also a graduate of the University of Benin and Lagos, a sister to four, a wife to be to the best man on earth and daughter to the best parents ever. My goal is to add value to your world than you ever dreamed possible by providing you with life-changing, inspiring, motivating articles, poetry and short stories. I am a writer, an educator, a motivational speaker and writer, a life coach and an emotional recovery therapist/counsellor. A perfectionist, optimistic all the time. Simple and always happy. I love staying up late, I seem to be more productive after 9: pm. I love dessert especially chocolate mixed with whipped cream and strawberries. I love to listen to good music, cook delicious food, and spend time at the beach. I hope you will stay in touch by signing up through the link below.

21 Responses

1. Mr.Lonely

Happy Independence Day๐Ÿ˜Š

2. Madekesiworld

Happy Independence Day to your country, just three years older than mine, I think

• Whitneyibeblog

Thank you very much. How is Kenya today?

• Madekesiworld

Welcome. Not at its best…politics taking it’s toll but I believe we’ll be alright

• Whitneyibeblog

Sure. You all will be alright. Have a great day.

• Madekesiworld

Thanks and have a great day too

3. bcparkison

My dear, These are questions we all ask and seek for answers sometimes in the wrong places. Lets pray God will direct us all.

• Whitneyibeblog

Amen. We will keep striving and hope for the best and a better nation.

4. Madekesiworld

Thanks. Have a great no too

5. kawsreflections

This is beautiful. I love that I learned something new about you. Nigeria sounds like a beautiful place. Perhaps I should put that on my bucket list of places to go and visit.

• Whitneyibeblog

Yayyyy, dancing right now๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ™Œ. Can’t wait to see you here. I will be your tour guide. Thanks dear for your kind words.

6. minusthecynic

Happy independence day. what is lawma..? When you compare stories of Nigerian life with your parents how has it changed for the better or worse since they were young n what has remained the same. .?

• Whitneyibeblog

Thank you very much for commenting. Response to your questions? Lawma is an acronym for LAGOS WASTE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY. They are in charge of keeping Lagos and its environs clean. A lot has changed since the early years of my parents till date. The country is not where it used to be(although we wish where it is now things should be at its best) and things are definitely not the same. We are looking forward to a better nation.

• minusthecynic

how can your country be improved? waste management is not easy to tackle in any country. we have to constantly educate people of the health dangers of burning plastic and not to dump rubbish in rivers where people drink or to go to the toilet and bathe in the same lake . in our world we face the issue of water born diseases through flies or mosquitoes. this should be our responsibility to eliminate as citizens of a global village. another issue with waste management is the disposal of nuclear waste. anything it touches seems to turn to muck. please let me know if and when all the chobok girls are returned to their families. this is an issue I really care about but I’m a bit behind with the news from your country. I have heard its almost a gentlemans agreement to keep both muslims and Christians happy to take turns swapping between muslim and Christian leaders even though they still have to win votes ๐Ÿ™‚ our last leader was catholic. more of a true Christian than the current one claiming to be one. I wish people would just be honest about their religious beliefs or lack thereof instead of trying to claim to be a part of something they are not prepared to die for. it would do a service to the rest of us who actually do strive to live what we believe and stop us from being tainted by associations which should be disassociation. ๐Ÿ™‚ btw I love the fact that people in your country pray for days on end. at a stretch we will do an all nighter once every blue moon. I personally haven’t done one for years but I love how the experience puts you in touch with God. I love the passionate devotion both of the preachers in your country and people like you who I was going to call ordinary but are in fact extraordinary vessels for God to use to bring social justice by raising awareness ๐Ÿ™‚

• Whitneyibeblog

Well penned my dear. There is still hope for my country, all we need is to get the right person to the seat and not elect based on sentiment, ethnicity and power. As for the chibok girls, the president has assured Nigerians that he is doing all that he can to see to their release(a nightmare for the family of those girls). That’s why I said “cleaning should be done by everyone and not LAWMA alone. Thanks dear for commenting, it’s highly appreciated. Have a great day.

7. munyingnying

The Lord bless your country and your people. The Lord bless you with wise and Godly leaders.

• Whitneyibeblog

Amen and I am sure He will. Thank you very much for your kind words.

8. vincenza63

God bless Nigeria! God bless you, my dear!